Did you know that January is commonly known as National Hobby Month? Celebrate this exciting time of year with families across the nation by introducing your kids to a few new activities that they might find interest in during the New Year! From crafting to physical activities like biking or intramural sports, a hobby is activity that you might take up in your spare time to explore interests in various fields.
The period of time accompanying the start of a new year is the perfect time to begin new traditions and signal change in your family’s regular routine. And with the stress of work, schedules, and your child’s education, leisurely activities often take a backset to some of your family’s more immediate priorities. Take the time to talk to your kids about activities they might have interest in and give them the opportunity to explore these ideas through clubs, classes, meet ups, or scheduled family time.
Some popular family friendly hobbies include:
- Weekend nature walks or hikes – teach your kids about science and nature by taking then to local parks or nature reserves where they can not only learn but also get in some regular physical activity.
- Crafting projects – An umbrella term for creative activities and forms of expression, crafting can include all kinds of projects for kids and adults. From crocheting and knitting to paper crafts and the like.
- Puzzles and games – Whether you’re looking for activities that stimulate the brain and challenge your strategy skills or are more interested in some “just for fun” games, these types of hobbies come in all kinds of forms.
- Outdoor activities – While technology might prove to be helpful in your household, you might benefit from having the kids to unplug from time to time. Encourage outdoor hobbies like kite flying, boating or even intramural sports.
- Starting a collection – Depending on our family’s interests, consider starting a collecting with your kids. Whether you collect souvenirs from family vacations or sports memorabilia to seashells or toys, where you start is up to you!
What are some of our favorite hobbies and what new activities do you plan on taking up for 2014?